Blue School is Ivan Oviedo's and Fernando Herrera's online animation school, and since I've been doing some rigs for Ivan's personal projects, he asked me if I could rig the characters for his students to use. :)
These were the most challenging cartoony rigs I’ve done so far. They had to be light weighted on the viewport (I learned a lot about rig optimization) and yet very flexible and with a lot of control. I think I managed to do a pretty god job.
Dates: Brown Rig - Jul 2013 Body Mechanics Rig - Aug 2013 Lue Rig - Feb 2014 Gray Rig - Apr 2014
Another one of those speed jobs. Luckily there was no facial rig so I finished it in about 4 hours using my autorig script and SDKs with corrective shapes for the muscle buldging. Turned out to be a fun little rig!
The final render is very sparkly and we can’t see the deformations very well, but it’s all goodie. :> The other sparkly guy in the movie is this same character with a corrective blendshape to make it skinnier.
Roberto Maki is a huge fan of the works of Martin Hsu, so he made the Dragon Boy character in 3D. The first character was rigged by Maki himself and I helped with some tips. The second character version (that is animated below) was completely remade from scratch by me.
My portfolio is mostly composed of squishy cartoony characters, so in order to study a little bit more of muscle deformation, I asked my friend Fernando if he had any spare models I could bring to life. He sent me this Orc character and I had a blast rigging it! :)
This is still a work in progress, but right now I don’t have the time or motivation to continue working on it. Whenever some free time comes up, I’m sure I can go further on deformation studies…
While working on this, I also found out my automatic rigging solution doesn’t handle realistic deformations very well, so I had to create some joints with drivenkeys, they can be seen in the video below:
A couple of months later, I got interested in realtime image processing - mainly the OpenCV libraries (I used SimpleCV in this test), and wrote a quick color parsing script that communicated with Maya to control the Orc’s facial rig. It was very jittery but a LOT of fun! :)
This tool started as a simple idea inside Vetor Zero’s rigging team - we were four riggers and we wanted to develop new tools together without the hassle of having to manually send each other the files or having to depend on third party tools such as Dropbox or Git.
So we wrote our own tool that runs inside Maya and is powered by Google App Engine. You can create and distribute “packs” to other users, that will sync them with the click of a button, not requiring the user to pick destination folders. It installs and runs from the same location of the tool - this can be arranged by manipulating paths and environment variables.
Users can pick if the pack is “public” (anyone with the tool can access it) or “private” (only users you grant access can sync it). Login is handled by Google (we used their email login system) and request for pack access is also done via email, the owner of the private pack receives an email asking for permission, which must be confirmed manually. Once granted, the requester would receive a reply confirming his access and then he/she could download the pack though vzCloudTools. All users could rate the packs (using the cute hearts bellow each tool).
Another fun feature we did is that the main vzCloudTools script would self-update on each run, asking Google App Engine if a new version was available and then overwriting itself if needed. That way we could automatically deploy updates to the system without needing user input.
In the end, it turned out a great way of always having my tools on my finger tips, as I can quickly sync all my scripts only having to install vzCloudTools and then the system does the rest. :)
A quick script using Maya Python API to trigger animations for crowds that I created specially for this Fanta ad. We used Arnold StandIns and the script would control which frame of the animation would be playing. If the StandIn was inside the collision object (that could be any polymesh), it would first finish it’s current loop and then enter the special animation - these were programmable via atributes in each StandIn Transform, so we could make a lot of variations. We had some performance issues (Python is slow for realtime stuff) so I converted and compiled the script to C++, with -huge- benefits.
This plugin was developed under the supervision of Giovani Meneghel, who helped me immensely specially on the C++ porting!
Modeling: Alex Liki Rendering: Tiago Dias, Rafael Martinez CG Supervisor: Fabio Shigemura
Very rushed project, we had only 5 days for the modeling and rigging, we crunched almost everyday of that week and made in it time! All blendshapes were modeled by Liki. I came up with some experimental skin buldging effect on the wrinkles that were actually nice. :) Please see the rig demo video on the side.
CG Supervisor: Guilherme Rizzo Rigging: Henrique Freitas, Rogério Miyagi and me Animation: Rodrigo Souza, Helio Takahashi, Ivan Oviedo, Jason Tadeu, Alexandre Martins, Guilherme Gubert, Marcio Nicolosi, Vagner Farias, Marco Trandafilov.
This was a very long project, I created the base rig which all characters were reused from.
I was supervising a team of two (Rogério and Henrique), and we rigged and did some really simple prop animation for about 223 characters from Cartoon Network shows. I put some of them together in the last GIF from this post. :)
I guess these clips were shown only in Latin America, but I might be mistaken.